Thursday, October 22, 2009

Doctor Appointment

I just got back from my OB/GYN appointment and some shopping (you'll see why).

As I've mentioned, my HCG numbers aren't going down so she had me come in to discuss options. She first went over what was likely going on and said I could have a D&C or have medication inserted up in me to get my uterus to expel everything. Luckily I have some knowledge of all this stuff so I felt a little prepared to hear it. Then she did a transvaginal ultrasound to have a look at my ovaries. The cyst was still there but that's not unusual because that's likely the side I ovulated from. She couldn't see the other side as easily because of my intestines and the lovely constipation that comes with the HCG hormone (too much information, I know). She did see something funny and she thought that likely it was a tubal pregnancy or ectopic, meaning that the embryo implanted somewhere else in my body besides my uterus, like a fallopian tube.

Since she found that on the ultrasound she determined that it would be best to have a D&C because she can have the pathologist tell her right then if it's pregnancy tissue or not. If it is then I wake up and we go home and wait for my period to start TTC again. If not, then that means it's tubal and she will give me a shot of Methotrexate after I wake up. Methotrexate is a chemo drug actually, but in a lower dose, and it breaks up the tissue and helps it pass. She preferred using the shot to surgery because there's a greater risk of damage to my tubes during surgery and she wants to keep my fertility as intact as possible. I really like my Dr a lot and trust her opinion. She spent plenty of time talking with me and answering my questions. I didn't feel rushed or uninformed at all. And I am so relieved that she will be the one doing the procedure.

So tomorrow at 1:00pm is my appointment and no eating or drinking after midnight tonight. I have a feeling I'll be puking all day since the side effects are nausea from both the anesthesia and the shot. I still don't know what hospital it's at (I'm guessing the same one I went to for the HSG). The hospital is supposed to call me with more info.

There is one kicker to all this. If it's just the D&C and no shot then I can go on our trip to CA. If they have to do the shot though, I'll have to stay home and be more closely monitored. Apparently I could have internal bleeding so she wants me to stay close to home and close to her. Surprise after surprise huh? Let's see what tomorrow brings. Nothing like trying to make plans and have them thwarted at every turn. And did I mention I'm super tired of having things shoved up my privates? I'm having a hard time seeing how this is all worth it and trying again seems like the worst chore you could give me right now. But I'm in the study so I'm obligated to keep "trying" for a few more months. A cruise sounds pretty awesome right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment