Monday, August 17, 2009

Follow up Dr. appointment

Today I had my follow up appointment with my new OB/GYN, Dr. Carrie Sloan. She said that the results of the HSG were normal (same as the technician had told me on the day of the procedure). My blood tests came back normal with one exception. I have a MTHFR Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase defect which is a genetic defect that can lead to miscarriage. This gene produces an enzyme by the same name. Because I carry the genetic mutation that inhibits production of this enzyme, it can result in an elevated level of an enzyme called homocysteine found in blood plasma. From what I understand, it means that I do not absorb folic acid correctly thereby leading to possible neural defects in the infant, and or possible clotting problems. My doctor said this was a relatively new test and that speculation varies widely on it's relation to miscarriage and treatment options. She wanted to err on the side of caution and her treatment recommendation was a baby asprin (81 mg) a day along with upping my folic acid intake from the recommended 400 mcg to 1200 mcg, in addition to taking a pre-natal vitamin.

The next time I get a positive pregnancy test she wants me to come in right away for a blood test to measure HCG levels instead of waiting the normal 8 weeks for an appointment. She said this would give me peace of mind to see the numbers doubling every two days as they should, or alert her to a possible miscarraige if they don't. I have never made it far enough to even see if they were doubling so I'm sure I'd miscarry before that point, but it's still sweet of her to be concerned for my emotional well being. I really like this doctor a lot!

I also had a Pap Smear and pelvic exam which is never fun, but she made if very quick. I do have some cramping and spotting but I'm sure that will pass soon. I honestly think I have a very sensetive cervix than most. As of today I'm 5 DPO (days post ovulation) and my period is due around August 26th. They say you are more fertile for the 3 cycles following a HSG and this would be the 2nd cycle. Let's hope they are right!

No comments:

Post a Comment